Construction is a very diverse industry that includes activities ranging from mining, quarrying and forestry to the construction of infrastructure and buildings, the manufacture and supply of products, as well as maintenance, operation and disposal.
Construction output in the UK is more than £110 billion per annum and contributes 7% of GDP (ref Government Construction Strategy). Approximately a quarter of construction output is public sector and three quarters private sector
The industry accounts for approximately 3 million jobs, 10% of total UK employment (ref Construction 2025) and includes both manufacturing and services.
- If you are imaginative and enjoy Design and Technology, the construction sector gives you lots of chances to use design skills through architecture, engineering, landscape, mechanical, interior and electrical.
- Almost 200,000 women work in construction in the UK - but they only make up 10% of the total workforce. More women are needed and the industry is keen to employ them.
- Over the next few years the biggest growth in construction is expected to be in managerial, technical and professional occupations, with demand for trade and craft occupations growing more slowly.
CBS continue to place numerous different skill sets in this sector ranging from:
- Skilled Groundworkers (tarmac, flagging, edging, lining etc)
- Semi Skilled Groundworkers